Mary Fleming, daughter of William Fleming
Mary Fleming was born in Kent County Delaware on the 11th of March, 1745. She married Mathew Fleming in 1761. Mathew was the son of Alexander and Isabell McKnitt Fleming. Alexander is thought to have been a brother to William Fleming. Mathew and Mary came to Monongalia County Virginia in 1788. On the 18th of October, 1799, Mathew bought from John and Mary Sisco for two hundred pounds a tract of 8 acres of land on the east side of the Monongahela River. Later in 1809 he bought another tract of 192 acres in the same section from the heirs of William Pettyjohn for $300.00.
Mathew died about 1810, the exact date is not known. The inscription on his gravestone in the cemetery at the Fleming Memorial Chapel cannot be read. Mary Fleming died on the 20th day of May, 1815 at Fairmont, Marion County West Virginia
Mathew and Mary Fleming were the parents of:
1. Elizabeth Fleming born September 6, 1763 m John Stephenson
2. Andrew Fleming born October 24, 1766 m Jane Fleming d/o Nathan and Lydia Fleming
3. Jane Fleming born December 6, 1767 m Reuben Wolcott
4. Alexander Fleming born January 5, 1770 m Mary Fleming d/o Nathan and Lydia Fleming
5. James Fleming born December 18, 1771 m Nancy McClure
6. John Fleming born August 3, 1775 m Jane Hayes
7. Nancy Ann Fleming born October 23, 1775 m William Fleming s/o Nathan and Lydia Fleming
8. Mary Fleming born December 18, 1778 died young
9. Mathew Fleming born September 6, 1781 m Lydia Fleming d/o Nathan and Lydia Fleming
10. Rebecca Fleming born October 7, 1785 m Samuel Hendricks
The above information was taken from the book “The William Fleming Family” by Francis Marion Brand.